Thursday, October 28, 2010

Tales of the Dead Tropics - chapter 26


The battle sounds disappeared as the skies opened.  The rain fell in a heavy sheet that made it impossible to see beyond our verandah.  It drummed upon the roof in a hypnotic beat that soothed the spirit.  It was impossible to see or hear anything so Mike and I alternated between sitting in silence and making small talk.

I had to admit to myself that I enjoyed his company.  His laidback personality, dry humour and quick reactions made him someone that I had come to depend on completely.  I knew that I could trust him with my life and that added an intimacy to our relationship that I had never experienced with any man other than my husband.  And if I was being completely honest with myself, he was very easy on the eyes.

"A penny for your thoughts." Mike interjected.  Fortunately, it was dark so I was pretty sure he couldn't see the blush on my cheeks.
"Just wondering what's going on over the hill." I lied.    I had the uncomfortable feeling that he didn't believe me but he let it go.
"I doubt a bit of rain will stop the zombies," He said dryly. "but I have to admit I feel sorry for the poor bastards trying to fight them in these conditions."

The sliding door quietly opened.  I peered around to see my oldest daughter standing behind me. 
"The rain woke me and I couldn't get back to sleep." She answered my unspoken question.  She looked across me at Mike.  "Hey Mike."  He tipped his head at her before pulling his long body out of the chair.  "If you'll excuse me, ladies."  As he disappeared inside, Michele flopped into his chair.   
"Man, it's cold out here!" She shivered dramatically.   I agreed, waiting to see what she wanted to talk about.  The nervously tapping fingers signalled something on her mind.

"Mum, do you think Dad is alright?" She blurted out.  I sighed. Of course she was worried about her father.
"I think he is fine, honey.  He is probably having the time of his life fishing."
"But what about when he comes back?  What's going to happen then?"  That was the question, wasn't it.  I reached over and place my hand over hers, holding her eyes.  "There are still too many unknown elements for me to answer that question, honey. What if the army regains control and this is all over tomorrow?  What if Daddy hears something on the boat radio and chooses to stay away until it is safe." Yeah, right.  "All I can say is that I will do everything I can to keep your daddy safe.  If I have to go pick him up myself, I will."

Michele nodded slowly, searching my eyes.  I guess she must have felt reassured because I felt the tension fade from her hand.  Attempting a smile, she pulled back her hand.
"Wait till I tell him how you kicked butt at the shops today."
I laughed.  "He'll never believe you."
She grinned, glancing at me.  "Where did you learn those moves?!"
I shrugged nonchalantly, aiming for supercool mum rather than desperate and lucky.  "You watch enough tv, you pick something up, I guess."
Michele sighed and relaxed back against the deckchair.  She closed her eyes and we sat in a companionable silence for a few minutes.

"Hey, Mum?"
"Hmm?"
"You know how I always said I was never going to bring a guy around because you would embarrass me?"
I smiled to myself.  At least one good thing appeared to have come out of this disaster of a day.  I appeared to have developed just a little bit of credit with my daughter at last.  "Yes?"
"That goes double now."
D'oh.

Around midnight, as our watch was coming to an end, the deluge faded to a steady drizzle.  Michele had gone back to bed.  I stood at the balcony, straining to see if I could hear or see anything unusual.  Mike came up to stand beside me, little Lizzie sticking close to his heels.
"I can't hear any gunfire."  Mike murmured.
"Thank heavens." My response was heartfelt.  If it was over, we would be safe tonight.
"Hmm.  The question I keep asking myself is  - was the battle won or lost."  A chill ran through my body as I realised the implications of what he was saying.  Was it possible? Could a battalion or two of soldiers have been overrun?  Could the zombies be on our doorstep this very minute? 

The heavy mist from the mountains lay heavy at the bottom of our street, ever so slowly rolling towards us.  Lizzie started to growl.  Mike clicked his fingers and she stopped, but I could see her body quivering anxiously.  Across the street, Jodie's collie, Molly, started barking.  A light came on in the house and I saw the door open.  Jodie's oldest daughter, Jasmine, poked her head out cautiously and, not seeing anything, let the dog out.  The black and white collie raced out and down the street towards the mist, barking frantically.  My heart started to pound.  I had a really bad feeling about this.

Jasmine walked down her front steps.  "Mollie! Mollie!  Come here, girl!"  The dog disregarded her and disappeared into the mist, barking.  The barking became a panicked squeal and then - silence.  My disquiet turned into full-blown alarm.
"Jasmine!" I called urgently into the night.  "Get back in the house!"  She looked towards us, hesitated for a second, and then hurried back inside, closing the door behind her.

"Stay out of sight," Mike murmured, pressing himself against the thick verandah beam.  I followed his lead and tried to merge myself against the building as I peered into the street.  Between the darkness, drizzle and fog, I could see little more than dark shapes.  Across the street, however, the house light illuminated the area around it.

"Switch off your light, Jasmine." I whispered.  If the zombies were here, I knew that they would be attracted by the only lit house in the street.
"They didn't finish boarding up the windows, like I told them to." Mike noted grimly.  Although there were a couple of pieces of wood reinforcing the side french doors, I could still see into the room through the sheer curtains.  If there was anyone moving around in the house, the zombies were bound to see it.

Something moved on the edge of the lit area.  I strained my eyes to see what it was.  I caught a glimpse of a leg passing through a beam of light.  Gasping, I started to tremble.  And then a figure stepped into the light.  A man.  What was left of him.  Half of his body had been torn away, leaving half a torso and one arm. 

He stared at the lit house for a second before stumbling forward towards the stairs.  Another figure followed him.  And then another.  I watched, aghast, as a crowd of zombies quickly grew around the house.  They gathered at the windows and the french doors, anywhere they could see inside.

Moaning, they banged on the glass  More and more figures pressed heavily against the panes.  Then, the sound I had dreaded.  The sound of breaking glass.  Within seconds, the zombies started pouring into the house through the french windows.

Then the screaming started.  Above the rain and the moaning of the creatures, the cries of the women could be heard.  Desperate, petrified, they pleaded for help, for mercy, for god.  I clenched my hands uselessly, desperate to help and helpless to do so.  Through the glass panes, I caught a brief glimpse of a woman disappearing under a wall of zombies.  It was impossible to say who it was.  The desperate cries for help pierced my heart like arrows. I wanted to clap my hands over my ears like a child as the screams went on and on. 

Yet, when there was finally silence, it was so much worse.  I turned away, unable to speak.  In the midst of that heartbreaking silence, I watched in horror as lights came on in house after house down the street.  Next door, I saw the Brands standing in the doorway, framed by the light of their home as they peered into the darkness.
"What are they doing?" I hissed, dismayed.  "They'll draw the zombies straight to them!"
"They don't really understand what they are up against, Lori."
"But we do.  We've got to do something, Mike."
He met my eyes with a look of compassion.  "Our first priority has to be our own group, Lori.  You know that."
I did know that.  I also knew that there was still time to save these people, too.  In my heart, I believed I could do both.  It is, however, quite possible that I am just the world's biggest idiot.

As I saw zombies stumbling out of Jodie's home, drawn by the lights, I made a decision.  I grabbed the loaded pistol off the table before Mike could react and bolted down the stairs.
"Lori!" I heard Mike hiss.

No comments:

Post a Comment